COVID-19 Court Information
The Provincial Court of Alberta
This page is continuously updated. New information contained in this page supersedes information in earlier announcements.
COVID-19 Measures — Updated May 6, 2021
- Traffic court, including Circuit Court locations, will re-open for trials only as of May 31, 2021.
- Circuit court dockets are continuing remotely; no personal attendance is allowed.
- From May 10 to May 28, 2021 inclusive, Criminal, Youth Criminal, Family, Child Protection and Civil Matters:
- All trials and preliminary inquiries, except where an accused person is in custody or where the matter is determined to be urgent, will be adjourned and new dates will be scheduled.
- All other proceedings including pre-trial processes, applications and dockets will continue as scheduled on a virtual basis only.
- Detailed Court Resumption protocols have been established for each Court division and region, and are available at the links below.
- With the increase in COVID-19 cases and the attendance restrictions on personal appearances, the Court has been receiving more requests for witnesses to appear remotely. All such requests should be made 30 days in advance.
COVID-19 Safety Measures
Strict health and safety measures have been put in place in all locations for:
- physical distancing and monitoring of same;
- wearing of masks and other Personal Protection Equipment (PPE);
- modifying courtrooms and other spaces; and
- enhanced cleaning.
Do not come into a courthouse in person if you have been advised to self-isolate by public health officials, your doctor or the Alberta Health Services website; or you are self-isolating as a result of travel or contact with individuals with COVID-19.
The Provincial Court will continue to monitor the situation on an ongoing basis, and will provide updates regarding the staged reopening. We thank all stakeholders who have provided support and input during the development of the resumption plans.
Managing physical distancing and other health and safety protocols will take the effort and cooperation of all court users and we thank you in advance for your patience and cooperation.
Provincial Court Pandemic Plan - COVID19