Note: Information on this page may not be current. Refer to the COVID-19 Court Information page for Court procedures under the pandemic.

DISCLAIMER: Resolution Services and Court Staff cannot give you legal advice, or predict the outcome of your case. This website provides general information only. If you need legal advice about your own situation, you should speak to a lawyer. There are many other helpful resources at: Links, Videos and Legal Resources.

Provincial Court Civil, often referred to as the “people’s court” or “small claims court,” provides Albertans with simpler, less expensive ways to resolve disputes. This simpler process means that it is not necessary to be represented by a lawyer in Court. It is still your choice to hire a lawyer or agent to assist you through the process. It is not the responsibility of the Court to provide one for you.  

In the Civil Claim Process and Residential Tenancy (Landlord and Tenant) Process, the maximum amount that anyone may claim in Provincial Court Civil is $50,000.  Any claims that cannot be heard in the Provincial Court or exceed $50,000 must be heard in the Court of Queen’s Bench.

Civil Claim Process

This is where one party chooses to sue another party. Once a Civil Claim is filed the action goes through many steps to reach a resolution, and it may ultimately come before a judge for a legal decision. However, there are many things to consider before you sue

Residential Tenancy (Landlord and Tenant) Process

Provincial Court Civil also hears applications for Landlords and Tenants under the Residential Tenancies Act and Mobile Home Sites Tenancies Act. See the section Residential Tenancy Process (Landlord & Tenant).

Mediation Process

Mediation is an effective and confidential way to resolve a dispute.

More Information

There are certain filing fees for making a claim under the Civil Claim and the Landlord and Tenant Process. Other filing fees for miscellaneous forms may also apply.

  • Videos - What to do and how to behave in Civil Court.
  • Forms and Publications - Forms and Publications that apply to Civil Claims and Residential Tenancies.